Description and purpose:
The successful person will be responsible for procuring goods and services for the organization and obtaining quality products for competitive prices in a timely manner. Plays an integral role in ensuring the organisation sticks to budgets and operates profitably and supervises the procurement team to ensure timely procurement and delivery of goods and services in accordance with MU-JHU’s procurement policy.
Required qualifications and experience:
- Candidate must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Procurement or an equivalent degree, a relevant Masters’s degree would be an added advantage.
- A relevant professional certification in CIPS is a distinct advantage.
- Familiarity with procurement guidelines and compliance requirements applicable to a donor-funded organization. i.e NIH/CDC/USAID or European bilaterals.
- Minimum professional experience of three (3) years in a similar position with a multi-donor organisation or medical supplies companies.
- Managing and working through with subordinates.
- Good knowledge of supplies/stock management software
- Should have keen attention to detail and grievances management coupled with team building and people management.
- The person should have strong management skills, good report writing skills, strong analytical skills and mentorship and coaching skills.
- Excellent communication and computer skills (MS Office applications), good interpersonal relationships and should be self-driven and flexible.
- Talent in negotiations and networking including knowledge of sourcing and procurement techniques
The holder of this position will be responsible for the following duties:
- Liaises with key personnel to determine their product and service needs.
- Monitors business trends and product availability to pay the best price for goods and services without sacrificing quality and delivery times.
- Strengthens and nurtures relationships with suppliers/vendors to negotiate the best prices for the organization.
- Develops and implement strategies for procuring goods and services. Manage contracted and prequalified suppliers in terms of compliance, performance, quality, delivery time, value for money, etc.
- Monitor procurement records to ensure that each procurement request is fully and clearly documented according to MU-JHU policy.
- Collaborate with project/ program staff towards establishing item forecast/procurement plans ensuring they fit the activities in the budget, are donor compliant and realistic in terms of timing
- Perform risk management for supply contracts and agreement
- Review, develop, update and monitor the implementation of the MU-JHU procurement policy, guidelines and tools in accordance with the MU-JHU procurement policy and guidelines.
- Provide overall supervision and management of procurement operations including the performance of the team.
- Support the training and development of the procurement team to promote the growth, satisfaction and retention of a motivated team of qualified and experienced staff.
Applications with complete C.Vs, including 3 referees and their full addresses or contact telephone numbers, copies of academic certificates and testimonials, may be hand delivered to: MU-JHU Director Human Resources, through the reception on first floor, MU-JHU 1 Building or sent by email (application should not exceed 15MBs) to HR@mujhu.org – not later than 24th February, 2023 by 5.30pm. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.